Thursday, April 30, 2009

Bike Culture

The sun came out and so did thousands of bikes! Though the majority of Danish bike riders ride all through the winter, the sun brings out many, many more. Including free bikes to ride all over the city and just drop off at any bike rack with the specific lock. The bike culture is intense in Copenhagen as there are many more bike riders than people who drive. The lack of parking spots, expensive parking spots, and the nicest bike lanes I have ever seen probably contribute to the high percentage of bike riders in the city. You are more likely to get run over by a bike than a car in this city.... and it is actually quite frightening. My intent was to rent a bike for the last month that I was here but my illness and loosing my wallet prevented me from doing so and now its a little late.

Some notes about my lost wallet. I was out Friday night and misplaced my wallet at the club I was at... okay i straight up lost it. Inside that wallet was 600kr, my creditcard, my ID, my keys, my bus pass, and a few articles of makeup. I went to the club at their designated pick up time for missing items and it was actually there with everything in it except the cash. This explaines a little bit about the Danish honesty. I don' t think there is any other city in the world where I would get all of that back to me... I am very lucky but I woun't want to have lost my things in any other city than Copenhagen. The Danes are such a great group of people!

Now for something to visualize....

This is what I have seen the Danes accomplish on a Bike ( they are incredibly talented):

  • Hold hands with a significant other
  • Hold on to their 5 or 6 year olds shoulder to make sure they keep up in rush hour
  • Apply lipstick
  • Talk on the phone
  • Text
  • Wear a skirt/dress and heals….while biking
  • Wear a full suit… while biking
  • Bike with a 3 foot tree in their front basket!
  • The 3 and 4 year olds can ride a bike without training wheels. I think they learn how to ride as soon as they learn how to s peak.
  • Beat the bus to school or work!
  • Drink a beer. It wouldn’t be Danish if you couldn’t drink beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment