Saturday, May 16, 2009

And the night turned to morning before our eyes.

So this is it. It is my official last full day in Copenhagen.

I have taken my last 14, 1a, and 85n bus rides
I have locked the door and turned in the keys to the room I called home for 4 months
I have packed my bags (in hopes that I will not be over weight restrictions)
I have said my last goodbyes
I have taken my last steps down Strøget, Vestergade, Tasingegade, and Skindergade

And finally, I have watched my first, but definitely not last, Scandinavian sun rise.

We concluded DIS. Yesterday the Conclusion Ceremony was held in the beautiful concert hall of The Royal Danish Academy of Music. There were speeches from students, faculty, and the DIS director. Awards were given and seniors were congratulated. There was a champagne reception and the conversations were lively and sad as many people said goodbyes to the people from their classes who they just may not see again.

It wasn't the ceremony that made me realize how much I will miss this, but it was the gathering of good friends in the beautiful park next to the water just smoking hookah, telling stories, laughing and soaking up the sun. I was a memorable day to say the least.

The night brought many of us students together in the basement/laundry room of Skindergade apartments for one last hurah. We spent the early hours of the night socializing and celebrating the ending of an amazing semester we then proceded to head to our favorite nightclub in the city, Kulør bar, where we danced until the early hours of the monring. On the bus ride home I actually watched the night turn to morning as there was a beautiful sunrise over the water! It was stunning. I thought about all the things I will miss from this city and dispite the first few months of constant clouds the springtime of Denmark is definitly worth the wait.

This morning I packed up my all of my things and cleaned the room. I am spending the last night here at my visitng families house where they have taken me in over the past week. It was a nice break and a more pleasent place to study for exams and not get distracted. They are taking me to the airport tomorrow and I will say my goodbyes to Denmark, but they are not real goodbyes.... I will be back here someday. This is a place I really want to share with my family and/or friends. Copenhagen really means so much to me. I feel like I have a new concept of culture and a new concept of self all due to this city and this time abroad. I wish that I could have shared this city with my family, in time hopefully that will happen. For now they will have to experience through my photos and stories (though really the photos do not do this city justice!)

Denmark, the beautiful Danes, and my new American friends will all be missed.

Hej Hej Københaven. Vi ses!

No comments:

Post a Comment