Saturday, May 9, 2009

the last stretch...


Here we are. I can count on two hands how many days I have left in Europe and two weeks ago I couldn't wait for May 17th to come and now I regret ever thinking such things...I am so torn between what I want it this situation. The Copenhagen spring time has caused me to fall deeply in love with this city and the time I have spent here. I am looking at my schedule for next week, which includes 4 days packed with 4 finals..... All I want to do is see the city, lay down in the park, run around the lakes, stroll down Storget, and people watch from behind a large cup of coffee in Nyhavn. All in the same time, I want to be home in the comfort of my family and friends, the food I know, the language I understand, and the currency that doesn't need to be converted.

I am sturggling to study tonight thinking about all the things that I have done this semester and how much I have grown from this experience. It is something I will never forget. To distract me from my studies I searched for a few quotes that descrbe me and my experience of travling this semester. It really has been life changing.

“Traveling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and friends. You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things - air, sleep, dreams, the sea, the sky - all things tending towards the eternal or what we imagine of it.” - Cesar Pavese

All the pathos and irony of leaving one’s youth behind is thus implicit in every joyous moment of travel: one knows that the first joy can never be recovered, and the wise traveler learns not to repeat successes but tries new places all the time.” - Paul Fussel

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.” - Miriam Beard

Adventure is a path. Real adventure - self-determined, self-motivated, often risky - forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind - and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” - Mark Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment