Monday, February 23, 2009

My Second European Country


The journey to the second European country I have ever been to took approximately 35 minutes.

My friend Susanne and I had talked about taking a train to Sweden early in the week and when Saturday came around we woke up and decided would would do just that. We got up out of bed at an early 10am (early, since we had been out making friends with the local bartenders the night before!). We grabbed a bagel and coffee and went to Copenhagen Central Station. From there we bought our tickets, and ventured to take my first international train ride!


After making a few friends, chatting, and checking out the views, we arrived shortly to Malmö Central Station. After our 35 minute train ride we were in a different country, where they speak a different language, and use a different currency. It was hard for me to take in this information. It seemed so bizarre to me that after this short train ride I could be in such a different culture. After the initial shock and a few back-and-forth paces of the station looking for an ATM and a map we ran into a few familiar faces! We ran into a few DIS students who I had a class with, and they lent us one of their maps and we were on our way!

We then spent the day spending Swedish Krona at the chic European shops and not even worrying about it. The conversion rates between USD and SWK is like 9:1 so it was like spending nothing! We then ended our day at a nice steak restaurant where we were able to have a good meal for a cheap price (rare in Copenhagen!) and we even splurged on desert! I am proud to say with all the shopping and eating I managed to spend under $100 usd!

I am still in awe that in one day I was in one country, in a different one, and back again!

Well its Monday again and classes are back in full swing and I arrived at my bus stop to find out ( after 15 min of waiting) that my bus, 14, was on strike so my Monday morning was to say the least, a little stressful and consisted of quite the hike to classes! Though, I somehow managed to find it quite humors!

No comments:

Post a Comment